Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Handmade Gifts



I love them.

I do not love when the recipient responds to my handmade gift the same way he/she would respond to a clearance Walmart item. Crafters, I know you know what I'm talking about.

I treasure my handmade gifts. I'm giving Matea the most amazing handmade gift for her birthday this weekend and can't wait to share it here. Unfortunately, I didn't make it, Lena did, so I don't get to bask in the glory of its awesomeness.

Bella went to a birthday party this weekend for Lena's daughter, Hannah. Hannah was Bella's first ever BFF when they were only 2 1/2 years old. I wanted to make something for the birthday girl but my skills are not nearly as interesting as Lena's. I settled on a personalized fabric banner for her room because what girl doesn't like to see their name everywhere like they're princess-level important? (Wait, are all girls like that or just Bella?)
Lena did an excellent job of faux-gushing over it and talking about how special it was. I know it's more my taste than hers but I think the birthday girl liked it. This was handmade gift giving gone right. Doesn't it suck when it goes wrong?

2 comments:

Jona Giammalva said...

I know exactly what you mean! People should go gaga over handmade things (faux or not). That banner is darling (scallops are the best!)!

***Sharon*** said...

I TOTALLY know what you are talking about! I am still waiting for a gushing - thank you card for TWO things I have recently made. Hello?!?

The banner is ABSOLUTELY DARLING. A treasure to keep forever!

(Found you via "Stop Staring and Start Sewing!")