Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Once a Month Freezer Cooking

It's my new obsession.

Does anyone out there do it?

Realistically, I know I can't do a month at a time. While we do have a spare fridge/freezer in the garage, the freezer really isn't that big and my kitchen is the tiniest ever. Do you ever see those kitchens on "House Hunters International" where it looks like you can just spin in a circle and touch the entire kitchen? That's mine. It's a galley kitchen where the fridge door almost touches the opposite counter when it's open. Anyway, that's my excuse for not doing a full month. Oh wait! And I don't have a dish washer. Even better excuse!

So, I'm hoping to do my first batch of cooking this weekend but first I need to get another casserole dish or two (mine randomly exploded in the oven months ago). And next time I'm at my Grandma's I need to ask her for her crockpot. Mine is too small and hers has been sitting in her kitchen looking brand new for about 5 years.

Here's what's on the menu...7 meals, two batches of each, frozen separately so we don't have to eat them right in a row...

marinated flank steak
veggie and cheese stuff pasta shells
lime chicken
chicken parmigiana
chicken enchiladas
chicken tortilla soup
beef stir fry

I'd love to hear recipe recommendations and any tips for freezing.

1 comment:

Mellissa said...

Awesome, i just got on board with freezer meals, too. I also have a tiny kitchen, so I usually just make extra whenever I cook something freezable, and store the leftovers. One of my favorite freezer meals is lasagna! Just make an extra one and instead of cooking it, shove it in the freezer.
Here is a website with some great recipes: www.freezerdinner.com
You should also check out Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. It's a great book! Make a big batch of dough and store it in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Just tear off a chunk whenever you want fresh bread.