Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Major Makeover

Now that I'm sewing as my part-time job, Crafty Papa and I agreed that my sewing space could use a big makeover. I had been storing all of my fabric in a dresser...and the dresser ended up looking like my kids' drawers with stuff thrown all over. Big disaster. My sewing desk was actually a display fixture from one of the local outlet clothing stores that closed a few years ago. Great for storage but not so great for actually working at. It was counter top height so I had to sit on a stool and sew which wasn't great for my back. Geez, that makes me feel old.

So, here's the sorta before (after I had cleaned off the table)...

And here's the after...

We went to Ikea this weekend and got new sewing tables, a drawer unit, a new desk chair, and the cubbies.

Isn't it fabulous?! So much more functional than my old setup. I love how the fabric looks all stacked up nice and pretty and now instead of facing the wall, I can look out the window while I sew.
There are still a few improvements left including planting something pretty on that ugly fence outside and getting a few baskets or bins for the ugly fabric in the bottom of the cubbies. I realized I have a bunch of bulky fabric like flannel and upholstery weights that I either need to use or part with because it's not easy to store. I see lots of flannel pj pants for the girls in my future:)

In other makeover news, I accidentally died my hair black last night. For realz. I have no idea what happened! I color my hair regularly at home and have never had a problem. I don't think it looks bad, in fact, Crafty Pops LOVES it, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I get my hair cut later this week and something tells me my hair lady won't be expecting me to have black hair either!

8 comments:

Leigh said...

Ooh! That space looks fantastic now! Well done!

Marie said...

It looks awesome Kelci! I might need to go to Ikea to find another table and get rid of my banquet table I'm sewing on. Looks like such a pretty place to sew!

Beth said...

Looks great - the turquoise shelves are my favorite! I just redid my craft room too, will probably post tomorrow. I got myself a new IKEA table too and I LOVE it!!

Unknown said...

Luuuuuuv the new space :) Ikea rocks!

Tonya said...

Wow! The room looks awesome! Gotta love IKEA!

And I just realized who you remind me of, Tina Fey!!!! you have her sense of humor and you look a lot like her too : D I love Tina Fey

Jona Giammalva said...

It looks so sweet and fresh! I love the blue wall cubby!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm commenting on the hair. First of all, it was not black--more very, very dark brown. Next came the haircuts--yes two the same day. The end result is that Kelci looked fabulous when I saw her on Friday. Sorry, I was in the house, but wasn't offered a tour of the sewing room, so can't comment on it. Tonya...you are right, Kelci does look like Tina Fey.