Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wallet Watchin' Wednesday

I know it's been a few weeks since I've done this but I'm getting back on track so here goes...

Change from disposable to reusable. This is another money saving tactic that is not only better for your budget, but also better for the environment. There are a lot of little ways to implement this in your household and all of the little changes will add up to a big change in the amount of money spent.

- Cut out ziplocs except for cases when you really need them. Instead of storing snacks, leftovers, etc. in plastic bags, we use reusable containers. Better for the budget and they store much more nicely in the fridge or pantry than baggies.

-Replace paper towels with kitchen towels. We were going through an insane amount of paper towels here and they're not exactly cheap. I switched to using rags at the same time that I started making my own cleaners and can't believe how much I've saved. I had been going through 2 rolls a week, now that can easily last us a month. I use towels for everything except "contamination" messes like meat/poultry cleanup and the toilet seat:)

-Find ways to recycle materials with your house. I save dish soap bottles and lotion containers for the kids to play with in their sand/water table or bath. Applesauce and yogurt containers are great for paint or sorting. Pasta jars became an art project for the kids (making painted vases) and I also save them for giving salsa at Christmas.

-Reevaluate how you pack your child's lunch/snack for school. We don't do juice boxes except occasionally for parties or travel. Not only do they create excess waste, they're also much more expensive. Instead of using disposable juice boxes and ziplocs in Bella's lunch box for pre-k, she has a reusable thermos and snacks are packed in reusable ziploc containers. Better for the budget and the trash can.

Look around your house and see what other ways you can switch from disposable to reusable and post them here in the comments. I'll be back in a few days with my "Friday Favorites".

No comments: