Monday, August 17, 2009

Question (I'm saying that like Dwight Schrute)

I've noticed a lot of Etsy bag sellers have a set number of bag styles they make. Period. They give the bags names and then just make them in different fabrics (or I'm noticing, the same fabric over and over again). While I've always started from scratch with each bag, I'm considering making my own patterns, giving each a name and then listing only bags in those styles.

Seems like it could simplify custom orders a little ("hey, I want the bella bag in pink and brown floral") and make listing easier to do because I wouldn't have to measure every single bag. Unlike a lot of sellers, I still would aim to not make the same exact bag twice so while I'd be repeating styles, I wouldn't be repeating the same style and fabric together. Having my customers receive a one of a kind handmade bag is very important to me. I kind of feel like that's the whole purpose in buying a handmade bag, you know?

So, what do you think? Yes? No? Maybe so? I might even hold a contest or two to win the awesome prize of having a bag named after you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooh, the "Jen".... no sounds dumb, how about the "Allison"!!!

OR the Jen bag could be that camera bag I'm about to start begging for!!!

xoxo!

jrodriguez said...

I think it's a great idea, and since each bag is one of a kind, you won't have to stress about giving each a cute name... just as long as I can buy a camera bag!